Made of coral stone blocks, this grand stairway of four flights and 174 steps was constructed under the direction of Fr. Antonio Yus, parish priest from 1847 to 1849, to improve contact between Napo (downtown) and Moto (uptown). A fifth flight of 38 steps leads to the convent (now Sacred Heart Academy) at the back of the Our Lady of Light church. The promenade concludes in the old wharf popularly called Tulay where a visitor gets a majestic view of the sea, the mangrove areas and the mountains of Loon and Cebu across the Cebu Strait.
Spanish-Era Mortuary Chapel
This hexagonal two-storey stone structure located across the Our Lady of Light Church is made of coral stone blocks or "tinableya" put together with a mixture of sand, lime and water. In olden times, mass was not celebrated for the remains of a dead person. Instead, they were brought here for final blessing by the parish priest before they would be buried. Originally tile-roofed, it is now used as an office and occasional showroom for special events.
Spanish Colonial Cemetery (1800-1860s)
The circular layout of this structure is unique in Bohol. The stone walls called "cota" or "kuta" are built of coral blocks or "tinableya" put together with mortar, a mixture of sand, lime and water. Like those of big churches in the province, the internal layout of the chapel, which has six burial chambers, is cruciform with a transept or pair of arms across the nave. Graves of persons of low status were unmarked in historic times, otherwise wooden ones may have been used, thus nothing remains to identify each grave within the circular perimeter wall.
This stone bridge in Cogon Norte on the national highway has been identified by the Sites and Monuments Division of the Bohol Arts and Cultural Heritage (BACH) Council as one of the most imposing and having the highest elevation among colonial bridges in the province.
For many years, Loonanons believed that the image of the Birhen sa Kasilak was enthroned on this site in 1610. Reported to have been originally enthroned in Butuan, Agusan del Norte on September 8, 1597, the image was brought to Cebu by concerned Butuanons led by Fr. Pedro Lopez, a Jesuit friar, at the time when Moro bandits were attacking the coastal villages of Mindanao. Allegedly, they eventually dropped anchor near Sandingan Island and brought the image here. On the other hand, recent research proves that the veneration of the Our Lady of Light started in Europe only in the 1700s.
The Ferandos House
Owned by the family of the late Pio Ferandos, former Loon mayor and Cebu RTC judge, this fine example of a chalet built during the American period served as a secret meeting place of the Filipino guerrilla leaders during the Second World War. Behind the ancestral house is a vertical cave that has potential for development into an environmental showcase.
This edifice comprises the main building of Loon South Central Elementary School. Completed in 1915, it features an H layout with three rooms in the middle and four rooms on each side. Between the two corner rooms on each side of the facade is a wide stairway that leads to a foyer marked by columns and a high ceiling. All rooms have floors made of wooden planks. Ventilation is provided by the open space below the floors and several holes on the transom-like span above the doors and walls. The rear court, which used to be a garden bounded by the two rooms on each wing, has been transformed into a multipurpose hall, thereby concealing the two stairs that each led to the porch outside these rooms. The steel-pipe railing on the porch has been retained. Toilets have recently been added to all the classrooms. The original GI sheet roof has been replaced with tile-designed GI sheet. The original capiz-panel windows have also been replaced with glass jalousies. Both stairway and foyer have recently been tiled.
Completed in 1929, it features an imposing monument dedicated to the national hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal, and a big fountain that depicts the legend of the town. Of particular interest is a miniature Statue of Liberty atop the Rizal monument attesting to the era when it was constructed. Another structure at the plaza is a fountain that features four caryatids forming a column that supports a round structure the side of which is adorned by four gargoyles serving as water spouts. Atop the circular platform are two figures of women, one carrying an urn and the other drinking water from her scooped hand.
Another Relampagos masterpiece, this four-column platform across the Spanish-era mortuary chapel serves as main gate of the fortress-like church. It is the venue of the annual Easter Sunday rites observed by the local Catholic population
Moalong Cliff and River
The river and the bluff overlooking the wide expanse of mangrove are mute witnesses to the most successful ambush staged by the Boholano guerillas against the Japanese aggressors during the Second World War.
An abundant source of spring water north of the nucleus barangay of Napo after which the town’s name was taken. The spring and the nearby fish ponds and mangrove areas are frequented by quite a large number of birds.